In starship classification, garrison vessels (sometimes referred to as support vessels) are a type of starship or auxiliary craft permanently assigned to a starbase or planetary facility for the purpose of supporting general operations. They are generally small, maneuverable, specialized vessels such as Corvettes.
The Nor-class Deep Space Nine had a number of support vessels including sixteen Danube-class runabouts and two Defiant-class starships assigned to the station between 2369 and 2375. Runabouts proved instrumental in defending the station as well as exploring the Gamma Quadrant during the first two years of their service. Concerns over the growing threat of the Dominion, however, prompted Starfleet to assign the Defiant-class USS Defiant to Deep Space Nine as added protection in 2371. After the Defiant was destroyed in the Second Battle of Chin'toka (2375), Vice Admiral William Ross delivered the USS Sao Paulo to the station with special dispensation from Starfleet Operations to rename the Sao Paulo to Defiant.
Active Garrison Vessel Classes
Notable Garrison Vessels
Active Garrison Vessels
- USS Hamilton - Defiant-class starship attached to Starbase 484
- USS Earhart - Wright-class starship attached to Starbase 386
- USS Tesla - Nova-class starship attached to Starbase 621
Former Garrison Vessels
- USS Peacekeeper - Intrepid-class starship formerly attached to Starbase 386
- USS Ticonderoga - Defiant-class starship formerly attached to Starbase 386
- USS Howe - Defiant-class starship formerly attached to Starbase 386
|Official Starship Types|
|Starships by Size||Corvette • Frigate • Cruiser • Ship-of-the-Line • Dreadnought|
|Starships by Role||Carrier • Escort • Explorer • Garrison Vessel • Medical Vessel • Patrol Vessel • Science Vessel • Tactical Vessel|
|Embarked Craft by Role||Workbee • Shuttlepod • Shuttlecraft • Runabout • Transport • Captain's Yacht • Submarine • Starfighter|