Organic Missiles are biologically engineered weapons deployed in conjunction with the bio-ships operated by the Zutal Imperium. They are roughly equivalent in their purpose to Federation torpedo technology.
Background and Operation
The organic missile was originally developed by the Zutal Imperium to operate symbiotically with their bio-engineered starships. Each missile is "grown" along the outer shell of a Zutal vessel where they remain innate until activated by the vessel's crew. While a single vessel may produce several thousand missiles over the course of its lifetime, it is only capable of supporting a limited number of ordinances at any given time.
Once activated, a missile will detach itself from the host vessel and proceed independently toward a specified target. A missile in transit might ordinarily be vulnerable to attack were it not for a series of biological countermeasures. Among the greatest of these are the natural electro-magnetic field and a rudimentary intelligence. The former serves to confuse enemy sensors and disrupt enemy shielding systems while the latter allows for minor in-flight maneuvers.
A missile that has impacted the hull of an enemy vessel or installation immediately starts to produce an extremely acidic compound capable of dissolving most known materials. It is this compound which allows the missile to burrow toward the interior of an enemy vessel or installation and to collect raw materials for later use. Each missile carries a minimum explosive payload capable of destroying the warhead itself when necessary, but must rely on materials consumed while burrowing to produce a yield sufficient enough to damage its target. This has the added benefit of producing an explosion unique to the materials used in construction of an enemy vessel or installation. Assuming a missile is functioning correctly, it will continue to burrow until it consumes enough raw material to reach critical mass before detonation.
Counter-Measures of the Organic Missile
- Electro-Magnetic Field: A natural occurrence with all biological creatures, the electro-magnetic field produced by organic missiles is capable of both confusing enemy sensors and disrupting most known shielding systems. In the microseconds following contact with the shields, a missile is able to discern what frequency the shield is operating at, adapting itself in order to be allowed passage.
- Rudimentary Intelligence: An organic missile contains what would be considered by most biologists to be a rudimentary nervous system capable of relatively limited responses when compared to other organic life. At the same time, however, it is this very nervous system which allows a missile to perform basic in-flight maneuvers in response to external stimuli such as hazards or obstacles including enemy weapon's fire.
- Acidic Compound: Organic missiles are also capable of producing an acidic compound similar to that of other animal species such as the Horta. This compound allows the missile to burrow through most known materials and may even be sprayed externally as a way of preventing the missile from being captured.
OOC Notes for Commanding Officers
- The information contained in this article is still under development and consideration. Questions, comments, and concerns should be directed to the Fleet Story-Arc Committee.
- Evidence of Organic Missiles was first introduced during Confusion in the Cluster (USS Pandora) which takes place in the year 2386.
- Our understanding of Organic Missiles was further developed during ...Is a Friend in Deed (USS Yorktown), which takes place in the year 2388, as well as subsequent missions.
- The information contained in this article will play a major role in the joint simulation Fleet Story-Arc event tentatively planned for mid-2014 (OOC).